Friday, April 04, 2008

she blinded me...with SCIENCE!

Science Badges. like girl scout badges, only...way, way, way cooler.

The “I may look like a scientist, but I’m actually also a pirate” badge.

Drinks rum. Into pillaging and stuff. Soft spot for evolutionary biology. (J)




The “I actually grew up AND became a marine biologist” badge.

Out of the millions of children who aspire to work with dolphins and their ilk, this recipient is actually someone who does precisely that.



The “I’ve set fire to stuff” badge (LEVEL I).

In which the recipient has set fire to stuff, all in the name of general scientific curiosity. (AB)



The “I’ve set fire to stuff” badge (LEVEL II).
In which the recipient has set fire to stuff, while fully aware of all combustion principles at play. (AB)



The “I’ve set fire to stuff” badge (LEVEL III).
In which the recipient has set fire to stuff, while fully aware of all thermodynamic principles at play. (AB)



The “I’ve touched human internal organs with my own hands” badge.

In which the recipient is “hopefully” doing something that is somehow related to human health. (JH)



The “inordinately fond of invertebrates” badge.

In which the recipient professes an arguably unhealthy affinity for things of this category.




The “totally digs highly exothermic reactions” badge.

Might be best to keep an eye on such recipients. (JM)




The “somewhat confused as to what scientific field I actually belong to” badge

Also known as the transdiscplinary, interdiscplinary, or intradisciplinary badge. (D)



The “I’m into telescopes astro” badge (LEVEL I)
In which the recipient has used a telescope to view celestial objects. (SS)




The “statistical linear regression” badge.

We figured that if you actually know what those three words together mean, then you deserve a badge. Statistics rock! (NG)



The “destroyer of quackery” badge.

In which the recipient never ever backs down from an argument that pits sound science over quackery.



The “has frozen stuff just to see what happens” badge (LEVEL I)

In which the recipient has frozen something in the freezer for the sake of scientific curiosity. (JL)



The “I know what a tadpole is” badge.

In which the recipient knows what a tadpole is. Basically, an easy way to get a badge that looks a little like the semen one above.


The “talking science” badge.
Required for all members. Assumes the recipient conducts himself/herself in such a manner as to talk science whenever he/she gets the chance. Not easily fazed by looks of disinterest from friends or the act of “zoning out” by well intentioned loved ones. (DN)


The “MacGyver” badge.
In which the recipient has demonstrated that his/her science communciation prowess was handy in simplifying a potentially challenging scenario. For example, was able to escape from unjustified prison term, with the clever use of a paper clip and WD-40. You know, that kind of thing. (Note that display of badge must be accompanied by explanation). (JN)


The “arts and crafts” badge.

Because you can’t have a bunch of badges without an arts and crafts badge. This one assumes the recipient has all manner of “craftiness” with a sciencegeek twist. (AC)



The “I’m pretty confident around an open flame” badge.

Recipients have demonstrated proficiency around open flames in laboratory settings.




The “inappropriate nocturnal use of lab equipment in the name of alternative science experimentation / communication” badge.
In which the recipient has “borrowed” scientific supplies for the sake of stealth scientific communication. (JG)

and for my eligibility for the MacGyver badge, I submit to you the entirety of my Turks and Caicos turtle research career; and if that doesn't qualify me, I think those who occupy the ranks of MacGyver-badge-holders are very few.

No comments: